What to keep in mind when buying or choosing work footwear for the hotter days:
- Natural materials are the best for letting your feet breath (Even when you have to wear closed footwear). Select leather, suede, cotton canvas and raffia.
- Choose shoes with as many gaps as possible! This could be strappy, openwork leather, laser cut holes, sling back, open/peep toe, Broderie Anglaise or lace.
- Avoid patent leather as the top layer has a coating that prevents the natural breathable quality of leather.
- Don’t wear shoes that are tight to start with – the heat can make feet swell up and then your shoes will be very tight!
- Always try on summer shoes in the middle of the afternoon – your feet will be at their hottest and when you make the purchase you can be sure they will fit your feet when they are at there hottest.
- If you can bare it then a small pop sock or pair of tights could help with feet becoming too sweaty and slipping in the shoes.
How to make sure your feet are sandal and summer shoe ready:
- Use a pumice stone around your heels to get rid of dry and hard skin
- Moisturise your feet and pop on some cotton socks before bed
- Give your feet a nice soak – this will soften the skin and sooth them after a long day. Pop in a couple of drops of some tea tree oil and this will get rid of any potential infection on your feet – sweaty feet are a breeding ground for infections
- Trim your toe-nails and polish them in a lovely summer colour